Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Christchurch Can Make You Cry

At 4:36 am on September 4th of 2010 Christchurch, New Zealand was hit by an earthquake that hit 7.1 on that scale who’s name is making my mind go blank at the current moment.  At about 10 am that day I woke up with a hangover from hell.  I had seen a lot of images on tv and expected the city to be completely destroyed.  The reason I tell you this is because about that time I received an email from the sister/cousin/some relation that I could not remember of a friend from college.  I had met this girl (we’ll call her Lilly) about 4 years ago on a road trip with said friend.  All I could really remember was that she was hot (solid 8 if memory serves) and she was definitely flirting with me on our only occasion of hanging out. 
Anyways, her email said that she had been living in Australia for the past year or so and was soon to move to Christchurch.  I decided that since I hadn’t been to Christchurch before, and apparently the city was still slightly standing, that I would go up and give her a friend for the weekend.  Seemed like a good idea from my end and she sounded excited about seeing me (who isn’t?).  So on a Friday afternoon I leave work and hop in the car for a what I didn’t realize was a 7 hour drive.  7 hours by yourself is a really long time in the car.  But no need to worry about that.  I finally arrive at about 11 pm that night.
After a hello and a little small talk we decide to grab a drink.  The rest of the night was spent mainly catching up and essentially getting to know each other.  We shut down one bar and headed to another.  It was pretty much just a chill night with a little drinking and light flirting.  No big deal, we have the whole weekend.  There was no need to rush this one, because well she was still as hot as I remember.  We head back and call it a night.
I am awoken the next morning by Lilly’s text message at about 9 saying something along the lines of “Wake up, I’m bored!!! take a shower and we’ll go get breakfast!!!!”  Now as much as I enjoy getting awaken by an excited girl, this was just a few too many exclamation points for 9 am.  So I wake up and get ready for spending all day with this very hot girl that I barely know. 
Christchurch has a lot more to see than Invercargill so we set out to see what we could see.  We had a nice breakfast and headed for a gondola ride up the mountain to look at the city.  I have never seen someone more afraid of anything than Lilly was of riding up that mountain.  I’m maintaining it as just an excuse to get close to me but she would probably never admit that.  Anyways so after a trip up the mountain we head to see more of the area.  It was a nice drive and I was finding it pretty easy to have a conversation with this girl.  Both of us seemed to be a little nervous though.
Rule for a first date (this can also just be applied to life): Just relax and enjoy yourself.  Some people tell you that you need to just be yourself and the other person will appreciate you more for it.  I’m not a big believer in being yourself right away, because nobody wants to see your craziness on a first date.  Unless you are as awesome as, well me then you might want to just show a little of your true self.  Easier to do this if you are relaxed though.
So after a drive on tiny roads we find the beach.  A nice walk, a cave, and some scary looking children later we decide to have lunch at this place right on the beach.  Things were actually going really well and all I could think was “shit, do I kinda like this girl a little bit?  Oh well, I’m just going to have some fun and see what happens.”  After lunch we decide it’s time to head back to town and I tell her that I’m taking her out on a date tonight.  She agrees and we go to get changed.  I change quickly and am now looking to kill time.
Traveling tip in New Zealand: Stay in backpacker hostels.  Cheap and all over the place.  Also there are always interesting people to meet along the way.  I am outside enjoying a cigarette when I am approached by a Maori guy with about 6 teeth.  He says that he and some other guys are out back drinking before heading to a concerts and I should join them.  I’ve never been one to say no to, well just about anything so I join.  I down four of this very awful tasting “homemade kiwi drink” as they called it and go from sober and a little uneasy to kind of drunk and ready for my date.
I pick up Lilly and we take a cab into town.  We stop at the first nice restaurant that we see and I tell her to get a bottle of wine.  Now I’m not usually much of a wine drinker but when in Christchurch, do as the Canterberrians do?  Not really sure if that one works but moving on.  This seems to loosen her up and she begins telling me about the real reason why she left Australia.  I’m not going to bore you with those details but she had just recently just gone through a bad break up.  Drunk, lonely, vulnerable, and only knows one guy in a foreign country.  This sounds right up my alley.
Next thing I know we are at another bar drinking more and she suddenly starts telling me that as much as she wants to, she’s not sleeping with me tonight.  Apparently she is “not that girl anymore who sleeps with the hot guy on the first date.”  To all of you out there who have heard this line before: it is a fucking lie!  Most of the time.  Apparently I was on top of my game that night because I respond with something along the lines of “I just wanted to take you out and maybe give you a good night kiss at some point.” 
Rule number two of a first date in a foreign country and well anywhere else: Play it cool.  Guys can play the hard to get card too and it works the same as when chicks do it.  So out of not really nowhere I know Lilly jumps me and kisses me.  “Wow, you are a good kisser” she tells me and we spend the next couple of hours being that couple in the bar that you want to ignore but you just can’t look away.  We were making out and people probably were making bets that we were going to have sex in the bar.  I’m not that big of an exhibitionist but why not, she is really hot.  The waitress had been coming by fairly often at the beginning and apparently I was “making a scene,” I called it just making conversation to use to my advantage with the other people that were getting the free show. 
Well in the middle of one of our make-out sessions she stops.  I look at her and she is starting to cry. Really?  She is not just tearing up, we are talking full on meltdown crying.  Apparently she really isn’t over the guy from Australia. 
Now I’m usually a good guy deep down so I try to be the nice guy who lets her cry and tells her that everything will be alright.  She calms down and starts to kiss me again.  “Alright, that was weird.  I guess she’s just drunk and we need to get out of here” I thought to myself.  She goes to clean herself up and I pay our tab.  We find a taxi and head back to where I was staying.  More kissing in the car and good times in my future.  Or so I thought.
We get inside and start making out again.  As the clothes start to come off, the tears return.  “Shit” is all I can think and she is way past the point of being consoled.  I do my best to try to get her back to normal but no luck.  Later I’m lying in a tiny bed with a gorgeous, shirtless, uncontrollably emotional girl asleep in my arms.  Nothing is going to happen tonight.
We both wake up with hangovers from hell.  She apologizes for the night before and suddenly realizes she still isn’t wearing a shirt.  I don’t know about you but I can’t really listen to what a topless woman has to say.  We go get some breakfast and say goodbye.  A hopeful weekend just turned into a crazy story.
As of this point, Lilly and I have somewhat stayed in touch and I’m still thinking that a second date could happen (mainly because quite frankly, she’s hot and I am somewhat disappointed for not closing the deal.  I guess even Mo Rivera blows one every now and then).  Maybe no more wine drinks for her next time though.
Long drive home and a Halloween Party the next week to look forward to.  Oh and on another note, although the earthquake sounded bad and people did lose their houses the damage was not as noticeable as I expected.  Christchurch is a pretty cool town and I will be making a return trip.
Thanks for reading, more awesomeness to come in the next instalment.
Later,
Zack

No comments:

Post a Comment